Global Studies at Work in DC
- Course #CRP110
- CRN #: 42367
- June 6–23, 2016 Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus, Pavilion Four, Room 101
Through a series of site visits to think tanks, governmental agencies, and non-governmental organizations in Washington, D.C., you will explore ways to apply global studies beyond the classroom.
Through site visits, classroom active learning, and reflective assignments, learn about and research potential career pathways in global studies—accessible from a variety of degree programs.
As part of the course, you will create or revise your resume, as appropriate, and create e-portfolios reflecting your new knowledge, observations, and career plans developed through the course.
Course reading materials will be provided.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the distinct types of global studies organizations operating out of Washington, D.C.
- Identify the missions of each organization visited during the course.
- Explore the types of majors and educational requirements needed to apply for jobs at each of the sites visited in the course.
- Adjust professional self-presentation (attire, greetings, etc.) to different agency settings.
- Create a personalized career development roadmap for a global studies career.
Professor: Jennifer Haydel, Political Science, Montgomery College
$440 + $155 fee = $595; non-Maryland residents add $250. Tuition includes course materials and Metro travel costs.
Class meetings will alternate between class instruction/discussion and site visits, which will include The US Institute of Peace, The Peace Corps, National Resources Defense Council, and Human Rights Watch.
Class meeting times will alternate between 12:30–5:00 and 10:00–3:00.
This course is supported by the Office of Academic Affairs, Montgomery College. A limited number of scholarships are available thanks to the generosity of the Montgomery College Foundation. For application information, contact Dr. Rita Kranidis, Director, Global Humanities Institute at firstname.lastname@example.org.