Statement of Interest due to Rodney Redmond by COB May 1
As you may recall, a group of English and Reading faculty members have been working diligently over the last two academic years to re-design our developmental English and Reading courses. The Developmental English And Reading (DEAR) workgroup has done an outstanding job of creating a new developmental curriculum. This new curriculum incorporates many of the best practices in developmental education, student success and the teaching of English and Reading. The new Integrated Reading and Writing (IERW) courses will be offered for the first time this fall. The first round of training is underway for the faculty teaching the new IERW courses. There will be ongoing training opportunities for faculty wishing to teach the new courses, each academic year.
With the redesign of the courses comes opportunities for leadership in the discipline. All full-time English and Reading faculty who are interested in serving as the Collegewide Coordinator of IERW should submit a statement of interest to me by COB on May 1. The statement of interest should be no more than one page and indicate your vision for keeping the developmental English and Reading curriculum progressively moving.
Below are the duties and expectations that I have for this position.
- coordinate direction of IERW Program and meet regularly with the dean
- meet monthly with campus-based IERW coordinators
- convene, as needed, a Collegewide IERW Advisory Committee
- plan and facilitate ongoing professional development for all IERW instructors
- provide updated informational materials and meet as needed with Assessment Center Director, Counseling, ENGL-READ discipline, and support programs such as ACES and ATPA
- develop syllabi templates and maintain IERW resources in Blackboard for all IERW instructors
- manage as needed changes to textbook and Connect
- serve as liaison to MC Academic Affairs as needed
- represent IERW on CAPDI
- work with dean on updates to MCPS as needed
- serve as liaison to McGraw-Hill and MC IT for college-wide IERW issues
- coordinate with Writing, Reading and Language Center Managers on resources to support IERW curriculum
Minimum Compensation : 6 ESH
Rodney Redmond, Ed. D
Dean of English and Reading